Saturday, January 10, 2009

Thing 3

Explore what it means to be a lifelong learner: 7 & 1/2 Habits
The easiest habit for me is #1 - begin with the end in mind.  I grew up in a family of lifelong learners and the end result was a common discussion at the dinner table.  Every difficult school assignment was met with the same conclusion.  In order to get into college, graduate and begin a successful life, we must complete all small tasks such as a book report, algebra assignment or master's thesis.  So, as I make my own journey through life I remember that every small thing builds to a more complete ending.  When my students in school tell me they don't want to do an assignment, I have a dinner table conversation with them to hopefully instill a broader goal.
The most difficult habit for me is #3 - viewing problems as challenges.  While I can see the the broad picture, I can get frustrated with obstacles.  As I have discovered the technology world moving more quickly than I can keep up, I knew I had to do something to get me back up to speed.  I have hopes that this class is what I need for a jump start into a new realm of ideas.  I plan to keep on learning well into old age as I see my parents do every day.  My father is now 78.  He never used a computer throughout his career but now, he uses the Internet and email to stay on top of his new retirement activities.  He found it challenging at best but is reaping the rewards of his new skill.  I hope to follow in his footsteps and wonder what challenge awaits me.

No comments:

Post a Comment