Monday, January 12, 2009

Thing 8

When I listen to a friend telling me about all the blogs they follow, I think they have way too much time on their hands.  Frankly, why would I spend any time reading someone else's opinion unless it was a subject really near and dear to my heart.  During the Olympics, I do read and watch anything I can get my hands on but I'm really looking for facts, not what someone is writing from their basement.  I spend time each year teaching students to look for web sites that are accurate and current.  I show them loony web sites that don't make sense to prove my point.  Am I unpopular because I don't praise the typical blog?  Oh, well.  I think it's nice if the weather forecaster wants to give me their opinion on the latest storm but I just want to see the forecast and move on.
I think if you do find an interesting blog, it's great to add it to your google reader and keep up with it.  Perhaps it's because there are so many blogs out there it is just too overwhelming.
I think it's important to use these RSS search engines as we can guide our students and staff towards what they need.  I do need to be informed about what technology people are using and that's why I signed up for this class.  I'm learning a lot!

1 comment:

  1. I too really see value in directing students to RSS sites. Are we the only ones who aren't enchanted by the idea of spending hours reading other peoples' blogs? The only ones I can imagine spending any time on would be friends' and family members' blogs. Even then, I only have so much interest in peoples' vacation photos and pictures of their pets!

    ReplyDelete